Moving is a great time to sort through your possessions and get rid of things you no longer use. Why pay for packing and moving items you no longer use? But making those trips to local donation centers is one more chore you have little time for. Robb and Messer Moving and Storage understand, and we can help. We partner with local non-profit organizations, including Crossing the Jordan, the Salvation Army, Goodwill Industries, and the Redwood Gospel Mission to bring your gently used furniture, clothing, and household items to people in our community in need. This is truly a win-win – our valued customers get an easier move, and we all get to help make our community a better place.
Ready to make donations a part of your move? Here are some tips many of our customers find useful when deciding what to donate.
- Clothes in your closet, still with the tags on? If you haven’t worn them yet, chances are you won’t. And brand new clothes are a valuable donation. These should be the one of first things that you pass on.
- Set up a donation box in every room while you pack it up. If you cannot visualize using something in your new home, or cannot remember the last time you used it, “pack” it in the donation box.
- Received a gift that is great, just not right for you? Help it find the right home by donating it.
- Moving to a smaller place, or one with a different configuration? Don’t move furniture that won’t fit. Figure out what furniture will and won’t work in your new space, and donate the rest. Good quality, minimally worn furniture is always in high demand. Solid wood furniture is especially popular.
- Now for the don’ts. Don’t donate anything that is stained, broken, has excessive visible wear, or is otherwise near the end of its usable lifespan. Sometimes the best place for items is the trash or recycling bin. Contact your local waste handling provider to see if they provide electronics or fabric recycling to keep items out of the landfill.
- Skip the time consuming and inconvenient runs to your local donation facility when you choose Robb and Messer Moving and Storage. Part of our full moving services include helping your unwanted items find a great new home.